April 19, 2017 A message from POE MS
Dear Poe Families,
We hope you had a wonderful spring break and had some time to spend with family and friends! As the weather gets warmer, please remind your students about the school dress code which can be found in the SR&R, page 12 and Appendix D, page 5.
Tuesday, April 18th, begins the fourth and final grading quarter of the 2016-17 school year. Students will be working hard to successfully complete their classwork as well as prepare for upcoming Standards of Learning assessments. There are some things that you can do to help them be prepared:
- Review and materials or packets provided to students
- Check SIS ParentVUE for assignments and grades
- On the day of testing (the schedule will be coming home soon)
- Please do not schedule appointments that will pull your child during school hours
- Students should be on time because testing begins first thing in the morning
- Students should have a good night’s sleep, a good breakfast, and a word of encouragement as they leave for the day.
- Our students and teachers have been working hard to prepare for the tests! We will ‘Make It Happen’ at Poe!
After-School Program News:
We are looking to continue building up our robotics program! If you would be interested in helping with our Robotics Club (this year or even next school year) please let Patrick know. No prior experience in robotics is necessary, as our other staff are able to provide training.
Last week's ASP Students of the Week were Kijani English, Holly Tran, and Ricardo Ayala! Kijani and Holly were nominated for being great collaborators in our Cooking Club. Meanwhile, Ricardo was nominated for being an extremely helpful tutor with our Club de Tarea. Congratulations!
The Theatre Arts Department News:
Poe’s Theater Arts Department presents the spring musical
On April 27 and 28 at 7pm and Saturday April 29 at 2:00 pm
Tickets are $6 at the door
Come see 40 of our fabulous students perform this wonderful show by Tony and Pulitzer prize winner Quiara Allegria Hudes – who co-wrote “In the Heights” with Lin Manuel Miranda (Hamilton!)
Poe Spirit Week:
April 24 – 28 will be Poe Spirit Week!
Monday, April 24: Healthy Choices; dress up like your favorite superhero
Tuesday, April 25: Tropical Tuesday; dress up in vacation/beachy gear
Wednesday, April 26: Workout Wednesday; wear fitness/workout gear
Thursday, April 27: Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff; dress up in sweatpants or pajamas
Friday, April 28: Look Good/Feel Good; dress up in neon colors
Save The Date:
April 24 – 28: Poe Spirit Week
April 27, 28, 29: Poe Drama Presentation